- a cardinal point of the compass, 90° to the left when facing north, corresponding to the point where the sun is seen to set. Abbreviation: W
- the direction in which this point lies.
- (usually initial capital letter) a region or territory situated in this direction, especially the western part of the U.S., as distinguished from the East: a vacation trip through the West.
- (initial capital letter) the western part of the world, as distinguished from the East or Orient; the Occident.
- (initial capital letter) the non-Communist countries of Western Europe and the Americas.