- Also called checkerberry. a small, creeping, evergreen shrub, Gaultheria procumbens, of the heath family, common in eastern North America, having white, nodding, bell-shaped flowers, a bright-red, berrylike fruit, and aromatic leaves that yield a volatile oil.
- the oil of this shrub; wintergreen oil; methyl salicylate.
- the flavor of oil of wintergreen or something flavored with it.
- any of various other plants of the same genus.
- any of various small evergreen herbs of the genera Pyrola and Chimaphila.