- the act of a person or thing that works.
- operation; action: the involuted workings of his mind.
- the process of shaping a material: The working of clay is easy when it’s damp.
- the act of manufacturing or building a thing.
- Usually workings. a part of a mine, quarry, or the like, in which work is carried on.
- the process of fermenting, as of yeasts.
- a slow advance involving exertion.
- disturbed or twisting motions: The working of his limbs revealed the disease.
- repeated movement or strain tending to loosen a structural assembly or part.