verb (used without object), yapped, yap·ping.
- to bark sharply, shrilly, or snappishly; yelp.
- Slang. to talk shrilly, noisily, or foolishly.
verb (used with object), yapped, yap·ping.
- to utter by yapping.
- a sharp, shrill, or snappish bark; yelp.
- shrill, noisy, or foolish talk.
- the mouth: Keep your yap shut.
- Slang. an uncouth or stupid person; bumpkin; fool.
verb yaps, yapping or yapped (intr)
- (of a dog) to bark in quick sharp bursts; yelp
- informal to talk at length in an annoying or stupid way; jabber
- a high-pitched or sharp bark; yelp
- slang annoying or stupid speech; jabber
- slang a derogatory word for mouth
- (usually reiterated) an imitation or representation of the sound of a dog yapping or people jabbering
- a group of four main islands in the W Pacific, in the W Caroline Islands: administratively a district of the US Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands from 1947; became self-governing in 1979 as part of the Federated States of Micronesia; important Japanese naval base in World War II. Pop: 11 647 (2006 est). Area: 101 sq km (39 sq miles)
v.c.1600, probably of imitative origin. Originally in reference to dog sounds; meaning “to talk idle chatter” is first recorded 1886. Related: Yapped; yapping.