- yes (used in affirmation or assent).
- indeed: Yea, and he did come.
- not only this but even: a good, yea, a noble man.
- an affirmation; an affirmative reply or vote.
- a person who votes in the affirmative.
- a less common word for aye 1 (def. 1)
- (sentence modifier) archaic, or literary indeed; trulyyea, though my enemies spurn me, I shall prevail
Old English gea (West Saxon), ge (Anglian) “so, yes,” from Proto-Germanic *ja-, *jai-, a word of affirmation (cf. German, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish ja), from PIE *yam-, from pronomial stem *i- (see yon).