- a hill in Jerusalem, on which the Temple was built (used to symbolize the city itself, especially as a religious or spiritual center).
- the Jewish people.
- Palestine as the Jewish homeland and symbol of Judaism.
- heaven as the final gathering place of true believers.
- a city in NE Illinois.
- the hill on which the city of Jerusalem stands
- the ancient Israelites of the Bible
- the modern Jewish nation
- Israel as the national home of the Jewish people
- Christianity heaven regarded as the city of God and the final abode of his elect
- any form of social organization, way of life, or life after death regarded as an ultimate goal
- a religious community or its site, regarded as chosen by God and under his special protection
- an ideal theocratic community, esp any of the Christian Churches regarded as such a community
Old English Sion, from Greek Seon, from Hebrew Tsiyon, name of a Canaanite hill fortress in Jerusalem captured by David and called in the Bible “City of David.” It became the center of Jewish life and worship.