- any organic body or cell capable of spontaneous movement and of an existence more or less apart from or independent of the parent organism.
- any animal organism or individual capable of separate existence, and produced by fission, gemmation, or some method other than direct sexual reproduction.
- any one of the recognizably distinct individuals or elements of a compound or colonial animallike organism, whether or not detached or detachable.
- Also zo·oi·dal. pertaining to, resembling, or of the nature of an animal.
- any independent animal body, such as an individual of a coelenterate colony
- a motile cell or body, such as a gamete, produced by an organism
- An organic cell or organized body that has independent movement within a living organism, especially a motile gamete such as a spermatozoon.
- An independent animallike organism produced asexually, as by budding or fission.
- One of the distinct individuals forming a colonial animal such as a coral.