noun, plural zo·a [zoh–uh] /ˈzoʊ ə/. Biology Rare.
- any of the individuals of a compound organism.
- any individual, or the individuals collectively, produced from a single egg.
- a combining form meaning “animal,” “organism” of the kind specified by the initial element, often corresponding to zoological class names ending in -zoa, with -zoon used to name a single member of such a class: protozoon.
noun plural zoa (ˈzəʊə) or zoons
- a less common term for zooid (def. 1)
n combining form
- indicating an individual animal or an independently moving entity derived from an animalspermatozoon
1864, from Greek zoion “animal” (see zoo).
- Animal; independently moving organic unit:spermatozoon.