- a canton in N Switzerland. 668 sq. mi. (1730 sq. km).
- the capital of this canton, on the Lake of Zurich.
- Lake of, a lake in N Switzerland. 25 miles (40 km) long; 34 sq. mi. (88 sq. km).
- a canton of NE Switzerland: mainly Protestant and German-speaking. Capital: Zürich. Pop: 342 500 (2002 est). Area: 1729 sq km (668 sq miles)
- a city in NE Switzerland, the capital of Zürich canton, on Lake Zürich: the largest city and industrial centre in Switzerland; centre of the Swiss Reformation; financial centre. Pop: 336 821 (1999 est)
- Lake Zürich a lake in N Switzerland, mostly in Zürich canton. Area: 89 sq km (34 sq miles)
German Zürich, ultimately from Celtic root *dur- “water.”
Largest city in Switzerland, situated in the northern part of the country.